Hello, my name is Tianzhou (Charles) Ma, I am an Assistant Professor in Biostatistics at the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics of the School of Public Health at University of Maryland College Park. I received my PhD in Biostatistics from the University of Pittsburgh in 2018 and a MS in Biostatistics from Yale University in 2013. My research focuses on developing useful and timely statistical methods and softwares in genomics and bioinformatics, meta-analysis and data integration, statistical machine learning, Bayesian analysis, high-dimensional variable selection, as well as their application in cancer, neuroscience and epidemiology fields. I am actively seeking for collaborations with researchers in both methodology and application (not restricted to my current fields of research). Please visit our research group at: www.umdbright.com
Link to my [CV]
- Multi-omics (e.g. genotype, gene expression, epigenomics, proteomics, etc.) and bioinformatics
- Meta-analysis and data integration
- Statistical learning, clustering and high-dimensional variable selection
- Bayesian analysis and hierarchical modeling
- Application in cancer (e.g. Pan-gynecologic cancer and Pan-kidney cancer), neuroscience (e.g. severe mental illness and aging) and epidemiology
- And other new fields to be explored …
Recently, we have special interest in developing methods for imaging-genetic data integration, novel statistical genetic methods (e.g. fine mapping, Polygenic risk score (PRS), etc.) and in the fields of comparative genomics and functional genomics.
Recent highlighted publications
Notes: ^: co-first author; *: corresponding author; students underlined; [My Google Scholar Page]
 Ye Z^, Ke H^, Chen S, ..., Milton D and Ma T*. (2021). Biomarker categorization in transcriptomic meta-analysis by concordant patterns with application to Pan-cancer studies. Frontiers in Genetics. Accepted.
 Ma T, Ren Z and Tseng GC. (2020). Variable screening with multiple studies. Statistica Sinica , 30(2): 925–953.[pdf]
 Ye Z^ , Mo C^, Hatch K, Liu S, Gao S, Hong E, Kochunov P*, Chen S* and Ma T*. (2021). White matter integrity and nicotine dependence in smokers: evaluating vertical and horizontal pleiotropy. bioRxiv. [Link]
 Mo C^, Ye Z^ , Hatch K, Zhang Y, Wu Q, Liu S and Kochunov P, Ma T* and Chen S*. (2021). Genetic Fine-mapping with Dense Linkage Disequilibrium Blocks: genetics of nicotine dependence. bioRxiv. [Link].
 Lin C, Chang L, Ma T, Oh H, ... , Tseng GC and Sibille E. (2020). Older Molecular Brain Aging in Severe Mental Illness. Molecular Psychiatry , 1-11. PMID: 32632206.
 Ma T^, Huo Z^, Kuo A^, Zhu L, ..., Song C and Tseng GC. (2019). MetaOmics - Comprehensive Analysis Pipeline and Web-based Software Suite for Transcriptomic Meta-Analysis. Bioinformatics . PMID: 30304367. [pdf] [software]
- Prof. Shuo Chen , Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Maryland School of Medicine
- Prof. Mei-Ling Ting Lee , Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Maryland
- Prof. Takumi Saegusa , Department of Mathematics, University of Maryland
- Prof. George Tseng , Bioinformatics and Statistical Learning Group, Department of Biostatistics, University of Pittsburgh
- Prof. Zhao Ren , Department of Statistics, University of Pittsburgh
- Prof. Chi (Chuck) Song , Division of Biostatistics, Ohio State University
- Prof. Zhiguang (Caleb) Huo , Department of Biostatistics, University of Florida
- Prof. Faming Liang , Department of Statistics, Purdue University
- Prof. Elliot Hong , Maryland Psychiatric Research Center (MPRC), University of Maryland
- Prof. Peter Kochunov , Maryland Psychiatric Research Center (MPRC), University of Maryland
- Prof. Donald Milton , Applied Environmental Health (MIAEH), University of Maryland
- Prof. Jessica Magidson , Department of Psychology, University of Maryland
- Prof. Jie Chen , Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Maryland